Thursday, September 30, 2010

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

In Sister Russon's Book of Mormon Institute class we've talked about how memebers of the church are expected to have visions and dreams from God. We talked about if we try to understand our dreams, God will use them to teach us and communicate with us. So, when I remember my dreams, I ask myself, "What is God trying to tell me?" I think I need a little help with my dream from last night.

I was back in High School. Something happened to our quarter back, and I was recruited to take his place in our next big game. I changed into my pads, red jersey, and cheerleading skirt in the girl's locker room and tried to find where all the rest of my team was, since they were changing in the boys locker room and going through the tunnel to the playing field. While I was walking, I started listening to the announcer's comments over the loud speaker. He changed my name to make fun of me (I don't remember to what now), and I turned and gave him a dirty look. He was on the other side of the field at the very top of the bleachers, which was pretty far, but he waved at me and winked with a condescending look. I decided to ignore him and found my team.
The announcer was introducing all the players from the other team while my team looked on from the bleachers. I was sitting next to a fan from the other team. I knew she supported the other team because she was wearing blue. I turned to look at her. She was Denice from The Cosby Show, only younger and thinner. But in my dream she was my friend and not Denise from The Cosby Show. When I looked at her I remembered she had spent some time in the insane assylum and must have just gotten out. I took off my helmet, which had a shaded visor, and she recognized me, and we hugged.

Then I got a text on my phone, which woke me up and pulled me out of the dream. I'll never get to be a quarter back in a cheerleading skirt again.

I am now accepting translations before I consult Dreamdictionary.com.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe watching the Cosby Show the other day with me made you realize how awesome the 80s were and you wanted to be friends with the epitome of them--Denise Huxtable. Lol. The football thing? Maybe you're just excited for Jofis to come back, and he likes sports. Haha. That is one crazy dream girl!! ;) Love it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or it reminded me of how insane I think the 80's were, hence the insane assylum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After consulting Dreammoods.com, the dream dictionary, this is what I have come up with.

    Playing football: "represents a lack of support of cooperation in some area of my life."
    I'm going to guess in the job field. I figured I would be teaching right now, but the economy and school cut-backs are not cooperating with me there.

    Athlete: "To dream that you are an athlete, suggests that you have pushed yourself to the limits. You have achieved something which you thought you could not do. Just be careful not to overextend yourself."
    While this may be true, I never got to play the game. So I guess I want to push myself and achieve something, but I feel nothing is going my way.

    A skirt: "represents a metaphor on an issue that you are 'skirting' around over and not confronting head on."
    While it has seemed unlikely for a long time that I wasn't going to have a job this semester, it has taken me a long time to even see what I would need to do to be a substitute teacher.

    Red: "an indication of raw energy, force, vigor, intense passion, aggression, power, courage, impulsiveness and passion. The color red has deep emotional and spiritual connotations. Consider the phrase 'seeing red' to denote anger."
    While I am not angry that I don't have a job, I do find it incredibly frustrating. All my life I've been told that I need an education, and now it seems that a BA doesn't even matter anymore. What matters is experience and I can't get that anywhere if someone won't hire me.

    Bleachers: "To see or sit on bleachers in your dream, indicates that you are reflecting on the progress of your goals."
    Lately I have been trying to decide if teaching theatre is really what I want to do, and I am pretty sure it is. However, I feel like this could be better interpreted to sitting on the side lines. While I am suited up and ready to play, or I've prepared myself to find a job as much as I could, but my coach doesn't put me in.

    Actor/Actress: "To see a particular actor or actress in your dream, look at the role they are playing. Even though you may not know them on a personal level, how you perceive them or the characters they play can provide understanding in how it relates to you."
    So, the only thing I've ever seen this actress in was The Cosby Show. She was always my favorite Huxtible. I thought she was so creative, unique, and fun. I'm not sure what that has to do with me, but maybe I wish I was more creative? Maybe I wish I stood out more?

    Blue: "represents truth, wisdom, heaven, eternity, devotion, tranquility, loyalty and openness. Perhaps you are expressing a desire to get away. The presence of this color in your dream, may symbolize your spiritual guide and your optimism of the future."
    Since Denise was wearing blue, I think that means...I don't know.

    Helmet: "To see a helmet in your dream, symbolizes protection"
    Pretty straight forward. I'm trying to protect myself, or someone else is. I feel protected. Even though I'm not teaching, I feel like God is protecting and guiding me.

    Sunglasses: "To dream that you are wearing sunglasses, indicates your poor perception of some issue. You tend to be pessimistic and see the dark or negative side of things. Perhaps you don't want to see or be seen."
    When I realized that I wasn't going to have a job immediately at the beginning of the semester, I was embarrassed. I felt like it made me look unqualified and un-needed or un-wanted. I felt unimportant. I tell people that Heavenly Father has something better for me in store, but I don't know what. I don't know where He wants me to go. Maybe he's telling me that my time to play is coming and to be patient.

    I think this comment is longer than the original post. But this is what I got out of the dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley Stieber I always love talking to you and loved reading this post. It was strange reading this because I could imagine your voice and every facial expression as if your were really speaking to me. Thank you for being you. I love your crazy face like outer space!

    ReplyDelete