Tuesday, November 9, 2010

And Now, Something Serious

In consequence of the recent suicides of several homosexual young men, I write this post. I work in a field that draws many homosexual men and women. As a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I do believe it is wrong to act upon homosexual tendencies. I don’t believe that God makes people homosexual. Nor do I think it is one hundred percent a choice to be gay. I feel that, often, people are labeled as ‘gay’ by their peers and they soon mold themselves to fit that label. I believe society 'makes' people 'gay'. I also believe that homosexual tendencies are temptations. Just like smoking is appealing for some and absolutely atrocious to others, so is being homosexual. It is a choice and a sin to ACT on those tendencies. It is NOT a choice or a sin to have that temptation. We don’t choose our temptations, but we can learn to overcome them with the help of the Savior. He has borne our grief and suffered our temptations so he can know and show us how to conquer them.

While I do believe these things, I do NOT believe that homosexuals should be shunned, teased, bullied, or beat up. Homosexuals are people, just like me and you. While we do not need to accept their lifestyle, we do need to accept the person. Why is it that we as Latter-day Saints are quick to accept our friends who drink, do drugs, have premarital sex, swear, smoke, lie, cheat, steal, and any other thing, but we are not accepting of people who are homosexual? Is it because we don’t see homosexuality as normal and we’re afraid? Why do we call things gay when we don’t like something, and why is that acceptable? It shouldn’t be.

Christ taught us to be accepting of all men and women. They are all our Brothers and Sisters. Christ loved them enough to suffer in the Garden of Gethsemane and die for them, just like he did for me, for you, and for all men and women.

CLICK HERE  for the church’s stance on homosexuality. I agree with this statement completely.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said Ashley. Being homosexual is a choice [a lifestyle choice that I don't agree with] that some people make and regardless of what we believe, it doesn't mean that we should treat them differently because of it. It's disturbing to hear on the news and read articles about not only about homosexuals, but in schools anyone that students perceive as being different are often "labeled" as words I don't like to say or write. In the end, like a ballon that has too much air and it pops, there are some who take their lives.

    Your students are lucky to have you Ms. Stieber. One day, I'll dress up like a high school student and sit in on one of your classes and be your number one fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a #1 fan! And I would love if you were in my classroom! That would be so fun. I miss you Xa Billion and seventy million, and even more.

    ReplyDelete