Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Joy From the Eye-Balls of Children

I love little children. They are hilarious. I love to spend time with kids because they remind me that we can find joy anywhere.
While I am looking forward to teaching high school, I really love subbing for elementary students. I subbed for a kindergartn class last Monday and Tuesday. They were so cute! There was one that was barely taller than my knee-caps. They were so excited to learn and show how smart they are. They loved giving hugs, even to me who they hadn't known longer than 12 hours.
There were a few times with my literacy group (they're learning their ABC's, the sounds of letters, and putting letters/sound together to form words) I wanted them to listen to some directions, but I wanted to make sure everyone was listening. I told them I would know when they were ready if I could see their eye-balls. They had no idea what an eye-ball was, so I had to explain. They thought that was pretty funny, and while I talked some of them tried to make their eyes as big as possible so I could see their 'entire' eyeball.
When I picked them up from lunch recess I found a lady bug. I picked it up and took it inside and the kids came and crowded around me and looked at the lady bug. Some of them had never seen a lady bug before. They were so excited about this lady bug, even though it was just a bug. One of them told me I needed to take her outside because someone on TV said that we should leave animals in their homes. When we were about to take her outside, the lady bug flew to the ceiling. I told them the lady bug knew we were going to take it outside, but it wanted to stay in the classroom to learn and be with them. They were worried she would starve and at snack time one of them left a peice of their pear on the desk for her so she wouldn't die over thanksgiving break.
The kids were so loving to everyone. I asked them on the second day if they were glad I was back. They thought and one said, "We like Mrs. Ballard, but we're glad you're here!" The others agreed. I got hugs all day long and they were so excited to tell me everything that they did the weekend before, the night in between, what they were doing for Thanksgiving, and one kept telling me about a carnival that I would guess was the Greeley Stampede at the beginning of July. They were so excited to share with me; crayons, pencils, erasers, rocks, pictures, and anything else. They told me that I colored beautifully, that I sang beautifully, and that I was beautiful.
We read a Thanksgiving book about a little girl and her mommy. The little girl was asking her mom what she was most thankful for. Her mom told her to guess, so she got the photo album and looked through it. She guessed her camping trips, her talent show when she was younger, her soccer games, her wedding, and other things, but her mom kept telling her that even if those things were better, they wouldn't be her most thankful thing. The girl got to the part where she was born and her mom said that was her most thankful thing, the daughter. After the book was over I asked them who thought they were their parents most thankful thing. They all raised their hands. I'm sure, and I hope, they are.
I've been thinking about being like a child. They are so excited to learn new things. They are so kind and loving, and they are just so happy. I want to see things with the eye-balls of kindergartners forever. I want to see rocks with fun shapes and be happy. I want to see a lady bug and share food with it so it won't starve. I want to share with others and feel glad and not bitter or worried I wouldn't get it back. I want to make people feel good about themselves. I want to make other people happy.

2 comments:

  1. I love ladybugs and butterflies! They're my favorites! And I love the school of fish that follow my mouse at the top! Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can feed the fish too! That's why they follow you, they're hungry. You just click and the food comes and they eat the food.

    ReplyDelete