Monday, April 19, 2010

Job Hunging: Broadening My Horizons


While I have been looking for a job here in the Denver area, I feel like I fill out applications all the live long day, but at the end of the day, I try to tell a friend about all the things I’ve applied for, and as I do I realize 2 things. 1. I only applied to about 4 things when I feel like I applied to 10, and 2. I hate all the jobs I’m applying for and don’t want to do them.

So, first of all, it is very frustrating to fill out an application because it takes so much time and all applications need all the same information. I feel like I’ve typed my name, address, and phone number a million times. And as I fill out these applications, you would hope that you hear back from at least one thing that you applied for a day, but I feel like I might as well be putting the applications into a bottle and sending them into the ocean. I’ve only heard back from two job that I’ve applied for. And one of the two was a sorry-we-don’t-think-you’re-qualified e-mail. I’ve had three interviews, but two have been call-to-apply jobs. And the third interview was the other job that I said I’d heard back from. They scheduled an interview and I went. The same day of the interview I got an e-mail saying I’m not what they’re looking for. My friend Amy works for them and she asked them why I didn’t get the job. They said that they really liked me and that I did excellent in the interview, but I didn’t have any experience. Okay, so I understand that they need to do what is easiest and most efficient for them, but if I need experience to get a job, where do I get experience? Oh, right, a job. Well, I guess that’s a vicious and unfair cycle.

Secondly, I’m not sure if I was lying to myself, or what, but I would HATE doing any of the jobs I was applying for. I spent 5 years getting a degree that would allow me to teach high or middle school theatre. I LOVE that job. Student teaching was so fun and exciting. I love that every day is different and that I’m influencing the lives of young people every day. I enjoy working with students and helping them learn and understand and have fun. I love directing and watching scenes and plays by high school students that give their audience goosebumps and make them forget they’re watching a high school production. THAT’s what I want to do. I don’t want to work as a teller, a waitress, a secretary, or a cashier/retailer. I want to be a teacher. My dream job is being a teacher. I had forgotten that, and it hadn’t been the first time, and was just looking for anything that would pay my bills. But I don’t want to work in a job that I hate.

While I was in school people would ask me where I wanted to teach and I would say that I hadn’t decided because I didn’t want to be disappointed with where I ended up. That would happen to me. I would prefer to teach in Colorado, but there are next to 0 theatre teaching jobs in Colorado. So, I’ve broadened my horizons. I know, it’s sad. I had to back out living with my best friend, Amy. That was really hard. Mary and I were looking forward to living in the same area again when she got married. I love my ward and my calling, and I feel like my ward kinda needs me. My mom is sad that I’m moving farther away. I’m sad that I’m moving away from my 2-year-old nephew and 1-month-old niece. But I have to stop worrying about how I’m making others feel and do something for me. It’s time to grow up and act like an adult. The truth is, I have to go where the jobs are. Today while I was looking on-line at education jobs, I found a website that gives me 18 jobs that I’m qualified to do without being Highly Qualified to teach English. That was pretty encouraging. Unfortunately, none of them are in Colorado. There are a lot in Utah, some in Arizona and New Mexico, and a few in Neberaska. There were also some in North Carolina and Flordia, but those are both too far from home for me. So, there are jobs out there.

I thought I needed to broaden my horizons in my job hunting, so I applied at every store, restaurant, bank, etc. that I could think of. But now I see that I do need to broaden my horizons in my job search in a different way, by location. I’m going back to hunting for educational positions. And I’ve never felt better about a decision that I’ve made.

As I’ve been looking for jobs, the words to a hymn keep popping into my head:

It may not be on a mountain high, or over a stormy sea. It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me. But if, by a still small voice he calls, to paths that I do not know, I’ll answer, Dear Lord, with my hand in thine, I’ll go where you want me to go. I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord, o’er mountain or plain or sea. I’ll say what you want me to say, dear Lord, I’ll be what you want me to be.

I didn’t know where he wanted me. I still don’t. But I do know which direction. And I do know what he wants me to be. A teacher. I guess the exact location will come later.

1 comment:

  1. The above mentioned Mary :) wrote (4/20/2010):
    Ok so I think you are amazing! That is awesome that is what you are doing and you know what? I will live in Denver (which happens to be somewhat close to DIA) and I will just fly to you wherever you are. It will be a grand adventure and I am sure you will go somewhere that there are lots of cute boys (for you not me-don’t worry Curtis). Or maybe something will come up in Colorado…. no matter what you will do amazing because you are amazing. (P.S. I like your blog… a lot :)

    Cheryl wrote (4/21/2010):
    Blogging is a great way for us formulate and put into words our feelings and impressions. If you feel you must reach out—then reach out. I would be really sad for you to leave, but you have to do what you feel inspired to do. Good luck in the search.
    Any district would be fortunate to have you!

    Carol Joy wrote (4/21/2010):
    Ash! I’m WAY excited about your blog, you’re so awesome (I have to echo Mary there)! And girrell!! That’s what I had to do, go somewhere I’d never been before, and do something new! It’s scary and hard, but it’s very exciting! I desperately miss getting to be around my family, specially my niece and nephews, but they still love me tons, and it makes it that much greater when I get to be around them! Shoot for the stars! (I just used lots of exclamation marks, there may be one at the end of every sentences. Whoops. Lol.)
    Love love blogs.
    As a sidenote, I think it’s preposterous that you’d get ‘in trouble’ with parents if their child asked you a question about the Church because you quoted Pres. Monson! That’s whacky. I love posting that kind of stuff on facebook so that maybe people will ask me questions! You just never know.
    But I’m also not friends with very many of my high school students, and they’re all in college now. So that’s a bit different. Seriously I’m only friends with 3 of them. Lol.
    Love ya girl! I hope you end up coming with us on May 1st. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete